About Mac’s Automotive Service & Radiator Repair
Mac’s vision is to make a difference in our customers lives and their communities in the Pacific Northwest through first class automotive service.
Mac’s mission is to deliver the best possible automotive service in our local community. To be known for the HIGHEST QUALITY and most professional automotive service centers in the area with unsurpassed personalized service that builds customer and employee loyalty.
Clyde MacDonald founded Mac’s Radiator in 1947 in a small wooden building on Foster road in SE Portland. In a short time Clyde (soon joined by his cousin Frank MacDonald) had outgrown the original building and built the first of many additions to the Foster location. The business was continuing to grow when the unexpected death of Clyde in 1962 brought his two sons Jim & Phil into the business. Phil, who had more experience in the business, took some time off from dental school to help out and teach Jim the business. In the coming years after Phil had returned to dental school, Jim continuing his father’s tradition of customer service and forward thinking expanded the business to service air conditioning systems and industrial radiator manufacturing. As the business grew so did the family; Jim had five children, who all of whom spent time “helping out” as they grew up. Lisa, the oldest daughter went off to become a schoolteacher, working summers throughout college. Steve joined the business full time after graduating high school, as did daughter Diana, and youngest son Curtis.
Starting in the late 70’s Jim began adding locations, starting out in the Portland area before spreading out to Washington and Idaho. In 1997 Jim handed over the management of the company to his three children. Since Jim’s retirement, Stephen has been acting President. Working alongside Stephen is his sister Diana Debray and brother, Curtis MacDonald. Since taking over from their father, Steve expanded Mac’s custom fabrication department to include high quality show and classic car radiators plus air coolers along with heavy duty industrial radiators from some of the leading equipment and motor home manufacturer in the country. In February 2006 when a sudden and fatal heart attack took company president Stephen MacDonald, Jim temporarily came out of retirement for a year to help navigate the company thru this difficult time. Over the next several years Jim’s daughter Diana and Son Curtis shared the responsibilities of directing the company and with a team of key employees made some tough decisions during the worst economic downturn since the great recession. During this period, the decision was made to close 4 locations and streamline many back office operations along with developing of new products and strategies to help ensure our long term viability.
One important aspect of this was the developing and manufacture of a line of heavy duty steel replacement expansion tanks for school buses and semi trucks. This has grown into a important part of our business that we are now distributing across the U.S. through our network of dealerships. With this growth our manufacturing department recently moved it into a new building set up specifically for the process and enough room for continued growth. Mac’s also move forward to develop all of our locations into complete automotive repair facilities to enable us to take care of not only our customers Cooling and Air Conditioning needs but all needed vehicle repairs and services. As part of this ongoing process our Boise Idaho location moved into a beautiful new 12 bay location on a major highway.
Mac’s Executive Team
Owner / President: Diana Debray
- Mac’s employee for 37 years
- Started working summers in high school & Full time after graduating.
- Learned and worked in all aspects of front office duties including receptionist, dispatcher, accounts receivable & payables budgeting, financial reporting.
- Worked on many store remodeling & painting projects and new store openings.
- Proud mom to 4 boys whom have all spent some time or continue to work in the company.
Owner / Director Marketing & Operations: Curtis MacDonald
- Mac’s employee for 34 years.
- Worked part time and after school until graduating and coming to work full time.
- Learned the business from ground up, cleaning floors, delivery driver, parts counter.
- Has been opening and managing new locations for several years , covering for vacationing managers.
- Oversees company wide Marketing & Store Operations.
- Enjoys hanging out with son, looks forward to quality time on the road with the top down
Production Manager: Jason Brindell
- Mac’s employee for 36 years
- Job Duties: Overseeing production, personnel, quality control of Foster road location
- Oversee manufacturing processes, Design new products, and implementing in system with goal of efficiency and cost.
- Job Approach: Sell everything I can, if customer calls you they need some kind of service are jobs is to sell that service.
Human Resources / Health and Safety Coordinator: Teresa Conger
- Mac’s employee for 24 years
- Handles all aspects of the human resource department from employment, payroll, employee benefits, etc. Building, developing, and maintaining relationships with managers and employees is a large portion of my job. As HS manager I am responsible for the health and safety management of the company. My responsibilities include compliance with all federal, state, and city environmental issues, policy recommendations, development, and implementation.
- Honesty, dedication, and communication are key in my position. Mac’s cares about their employees and the environment around us. I strive to maintain a balance while playing the role of both the employee and a company advocate. Establishing policies and procedures designed to promote worker health and safety as well as ensure compliance with applicable regulations is a job I take seriously.
Purchasing Manager: Steve Burnett
- Mac’s Employee since 2010
- Jason was a successfully manager for the Mac’s Eugene Oregon location before being asked to join our executive team as our Purchasing Manager.
- Will oversee all aspects of product purchasing for Mac’s ensuring we stock the correct and highest quality products for our valued customers.
- Before Joining Mac’s Jason spent many years as a helicopter and airplane technician. Jason has an excellent attention to detail and understands the importance of following a process to attain the correct results.